Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Graduate School - My Journey


– – In 2007, I decided to apply to graduate school looking for a Master of Science in Management with emphasis in Project Management. I looked at Boston University, Capella University, George Washington University, New England College, Norwich University, Penn State, and University of Liverpool. Several of these graduate schools were very popular with the Project Management Institute (PMI®) and I was fortunate enough to chat with several of these schools at a PMI Global Congress on their exhibition floor. Online was the only choice for me since I traveled extensively with my job. With so many choices, catalogues filled with details of curriculum and 7 to 11 week classes: I had to deal with the details. One website that helped is called Unigo. They are “a new platform for college students to share reviews, videos, photos, documents and more with students on their campus and across the country;” and worth the visit.

– – I ended up creating a table with a side-by-side comparison of the course details—I was torn between Boston University, Norwich University, and George Washington University. Norwich offered the easiest curriculum and Boston the most difficult yet comprehensive. Boston was also more expensive. The curriculum won! Not to mention that in world ranking, Boston University ranked 46th in the 2008 THES-QS World University Ranking. Next came the “essay of intent” and the “letter of recommendation” from two individuals to the admissions committee—the road to acceptance? I toiled on the essay for some time and two years after going back and reading it again, it is still accurate of my ambition.

– – My recommendations and essay were submitted in May 2007, several months later, in September, I began my trek at Boston University. As I wrote in the summary of my essay: “My motivation to study is twofold: to maintain value in the marketplace with current, relevant and well designed curriculum including the interaction of fellow learners to reinforce such; and to provide my graduate degree as further proof of my continued education that is foundational to my activities as a thought-leader in the industry.” I am currently in my final course and look forward to knowing that this September 2009 I will have completed the graduate program!

1 comment:

  1. I read your journey with interest and you have very impressive credentials in PM and congratulations on completing the MSPM. I still have a few more to go. I like your blog design very much. Look forward to learning from you in this class.

    Khang

    ReplyDelete